Well, it's been a while. This is A Moonlit Campfire. But you know that.
Grab a chair and sit down, or just perch on the big fallen tree, closer to the fire; shoulder to stranger's shoulder, knee to unknown knee. Careful where you tread, there might be a few empties lying around. Things got a bit silly in 2010.
Billy and Ellcee will show you where the wine cups are.
I'm a bit tentative to begin, even though the weather is kind and I'm really only posting a poem. There's no point reading previous posts; all the good stuff was on 20six, and that's long gone. So, just read the following poem. Read it aloud, because that's the way poems are supposed to be read. If others in your household laugh, tell them to go fuck themselves. And if you feel stupid reading a poem aloud, that's a personal weakness you need to address. Then read it aloud again, at least once. That way you'll work out all the mistakes you made and you'll get closer to understanding what the poet was getting at.
I haven't asked permission to post these poems. Der. I'm hoping that if you like one, you'll check out the poet and buy some of their stuff. Your bookshelves need more poetry books. Really.
Oh, and I just saw an icon at the bottom of my New Post page which implies that if you are reading this on a phone, you should hold it in landscape. Yair, I dunno either. Just read it on a putey and make it simple.
I've begun with a poem that's just lovely nonsense. There's no Important Lesson. It doesn't deal with (my) mortality. It's just one of those simple, clever pieces of writing that makes you wish you had written it. It's quite long too. Have another sip of red and deal with it. Remember having to write stories, and how hard to was to move the plot along? This is about that...
In the Boot of Someone's Car, by Josephine Rowe.
There is a woman
locked in the boot
of someone's car.
The darkness is pressing down on her
so hard she can't breathe
and she can't be sure
whether she's choking on fear
or petrol fumes
or the darkness.
The driver takes the corners too fast.
It hurts less if she just goes limp.
She can't remember how she got there
but she will be there forever
her voice hoarse from screaming
because I can't think of a way to get her out.
I know that somewhere
there's a cable release
or a toolbox with a crowbar
or a wrench.
She could jemmy the lock.
All she has to do is feel around in the dark
but her hands are tied behind her back
and I don't know what to do with her
once she's out.
I don't even know who the driver is.
So I leave her there
in the boot of someone's car.
I've run out of endings.
I leave women crying on doorsteps.
I leave lonely men
in empty carriages
on last trains to nowhere.
I leave families sleeping
as their houses burn to the ground.
I leave gamblers,
cocaine addicts, failed musicians,
prostitutes, lawyers, fathers,
at the top of buildings,
under bridges,
on freeways, train tracks, rooftops,
on the cracked linoleum floors of
restrooms in fast food restaurants
somewhere in the outer western suburbs,
or chain smoking at kitchen tables
watching the smoke curl up to
twenty five watt Homebrand lightbulbs
that flickflickflicker
as they wait for unfaithful lovers
to return home from work.
And I leave a man
with smoke in his eyes
both hands on the wheel
driving as far away as he can
on ten bucks of fuel
before he breaks down.
He calls me
to ask where we're going from here.
And I tell him that I don't know
because I've run out of endings.
I tell him that I'm sorry,
but there's a woman
locked in the boot
of his car.
1 comment:
I like it. I wondered where it was going. Nice! - Billy
Post a Comment