Friday, 25 August 2023

Poetry Month #25

 Goodness me. Twenty-five sessions around the Campfire. Tonight seems colder than most previous nights here. Perhaps it's the spaces where there should be people; absence carries a surprising weight.

The half-moon tonight reminds me of an antique saki bowl I drank from once on my first trip to Japan.

Two poems, caught at separate times perhaps years apart; each randomly transcribed into a notebook, find themselves next to each other. And I turn to them, by chance, tonight. 

Slowly, Here in Essaouira by Matt Hetherington

a peace is descending upon me
the noisy children don't bother me so much
and things get done, one at a time

even the harsh northern wind
which dries the lips and makes the shutters shudder - 
even that passes over my discontent
instead of through and into my organs

on the second floor, in room no. 4
I eat my bread and honey and oranges
and drink the water and sleep
as much as my memories allow me

then I rise into the day
when finally I am ready
and the world gives a little and I give back

.............................................

(Essaouira is a port city in Morocco; a bit of a hippie hangout in the 1960s.)

.............................................

Missed Time by Ha Jin

My notebook has remained blank for months
thanks to the light that you shower
around me. I have no use
for my pen, which lies
languorously without grief.

Nothing is better than to live
a storyless life that needs
no writing for meaning - 
when I am gone, let others say
they lost a happy man,
though no-one can tell how happy I was.

.............................................
(Ah, the glistening wonder of ambiguity!)
.............................................


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Rain by Jack Gilbert

Suddenly this defeat.
This rain.
The blues gone gray
And the browns gone gray
And yellow
A terrible amber.
In the cold streets
Your warm body.
In whatever room
Your warm body.
Among all the people
Your absence
The people who are always
Not you.
I have been easy with trees
Too long.
Too familiar with mountains.
Joy has been a habit.
Now
Suddenly
This rain.