...I didn't realise until l just now, that choosing poetry for the penultimate night might be a difficult task. The next-to-last of anything its significant, after all.
So much to say; so much for poetry to reflect. So many poems, so little time/space/inclination of Campfire visitors to persevere. Am I underestimating you? I really don't think so. After all, you probably have work tomorrow. At least skim read the titles.
Nevertheless, after another dose of Larkin's realism, I'll try to be positive.
Sad Steps by Philip Larkin
Groping back to bed after a piss
I part thick curtains, and am startled by
The rapid clouds, the moon’s cleanliness.
Four o’clock: wedge-shadowed gardens lie
Under a cavernous, a wind-picked sky.
There’s something laughable about this,
The way the moon dashes through clouds that blow
Loosely as cannon-smoke to stand apart
(Stone-coloured light sharpening the roofs below)
High and preposterous and separate—
Lozenge of love! Medallion of art!
O wolves of memory! Immensements! No,
One shivers slightly, looking up there.
The hardness and the brightness and the plain
Far-reaching singleness of that wide stare
Is a reminder of the strength and pain
Of being young; that it can’t come again,
But is for others undiminished somewhere.
...........................................................
Loft By Michael Dransfield
(for Hilary)
Sometime in the night I stir, rain
has been falling and darker than
evening is the sound of overspilling
water from the roof. two pairs of
jeans move slightly with a breeze
from the window. traffic. in the button
hole of my coat the yellow of a daisy.
thunder. lightning is a bruise of pale
havoc around my eye's coast, and my arm, or
hers, draws in under a blanket from
the first morning of winter.
...........................................................
Everything Is Going To Be All Right by Derek Mahon
How should I not be glad to contemplate
the clouds clearing beyond the dormer window
and a high tide reflected on the ceiling?
There will be dying, there will be dying,
but there is no need to go into that.
The lines flow from the hand unbidden
and the hidden source is the watchful heart.
The sun rises in spite of everything
and the far cities are beautiful and bright.
I lie here in a riot of sunlight
watching the day break and the clouds flying.
Everything is going to be all right.
...........................................................
The day ahead by Thomas a Kempis
Who can tell what a day might bring?
Therefore, gracious God,
cause me to live every day
as if it were to be my last,
for I know not but that it may be such.
Cause me to live now
as I shall wish I had done
when I come to die.
...........................................................
from Darklight by Adrienne Rich
II
The heat leaves the walls at last
and the breeze comes
or seems to come, off water
or off the half-finished moon
her silver roughened by a dark blue rag
this is the ancient hour
between light and dark, work and rest
earthly tracks and star-trails
the last willed act of the day
and the night's first dream
If you could have this hour
for the last hour of your life.
...........................................................
I am learning to abandon the world by Linda Pastan
I am learning to abandon the world
before it can abandon me.
Already I have given up the moon
and snow, closing my shades
against the claims of white.
And the world has taken
my father, my friends.
I have given up melodic lines of hills,
moving to a flat, tuneless landscape.
And every night I give my body up
limb by limb, working upwards
across bone, towards the heart.
But morning comes with small
reprieves of coffee and birdsong.
A tree outside the window
which was simply shadow moments ago
takes back its branches twig
by leafy twig.
And as I take my body back
the sun lays its warm muzzle on my lap
as if to make amends.
...........................................................
I could go on, but it's time you began searching out poems yourselves. A few of you have passed some on to me. I have already ordered Jack Gilbert's Collected Poems, though it costs a fortune! it's all worth it.
Until tomorrow.
No comments:
Post a Comment