I've only just met this poem and, though I don't understand it all yet, I find it provides something positive. Perhaps it's just my present state, or the storm outside, or worrying about the chickens.
From what I can work out, the "fugal" of the title refers to "fugue", which is a musical term, but also has a psychological meaning, along the lines of losing one's sense of identity. Titles of poems are always important. In this poem, the gaps and the lack of punctuation is important too.
Fugal state by Melinda Smith
we are neither ahead nor behind; late is early, near is far
Maurice Blanchot, The Writing of the Disaster
You are always beginning again —
it is only a matter of degree:
you walk into a room, forgetting
with a dirty glass you lay down
another ring without realising
You are always beginning again:
you walk into the forest, forgetting,
you walk out, trailing possibilities
from your hands they drip, like
there was a morning There was
a name, once, a specific and grievous
of houses, an immunity to certain indignities,
there was more and more forgetting
moss, and cypress, and the clean, bald smell
of long-dry river-stones The air hums
and have forgotten and will know again
they are always beginning
reborn as a small ceramic deer
You sit under the momiji, the scarlet
in a forest small enough
to fit on a dinner plate
and begin
again
No comments:
Post a Comment