Tuesday, 20 March 2018

READ THIS FIRST

Hello there. It's been a while. You may not recognise me. It's dark anyway, and the fire creates shadows on our faces that disguise our daylight features. It's probably just as well.

For the last few days I've been deliberating how to re-start this blog. I decided against erasing the entries of its previous renderings. I'm upset that so much stuff, from so many good people, has been lost when various blogs and blog-sites faded away. (eg 20six).

I'm not sure what form this will eventually take, but I plan to have a few types of entries:

• The Chat, in which I'll rabbit on about anything. This is one of those.

• Poetry, of course. You can just skip that if it's not your taste, but don't tell me or I might make you drink out of one of the old cups instead of a wine glass.

• The Emperor's New Clothes (If you don't recognise the significance of that title, look it up and read.)

• Mustn't Grumble - with a nod to Chas and Dave. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9S9_TpFSwo

That's the plan, anyway.

For our international visitors, I'll refrain from translating Oz-English. This may make your visits occasionally challenging, but it could also provide opportunities for unintended humour. (eg my use of the word "thongs" in the next entry.)

For everyone else, especially younger English teachers and poets, I intend to stick to my pretentious, purply prose and ignore good modern writing. More on that later, perhaps.

Rather than fiddle-duck around, my first chat at this new campfire will indicate the levels to which this blog may plunge. It's actually a bit out of a letter I'd sent to a friend. He didn't reply, but you should feel free to make comments, especially if you have similar experiences to share.

Now, grab yourself a glass of red - it's over there on the table - and come sit with me here by the fire...

No comments: