Tuesday, 26 May 2009

Judged

This is a tough one. Bear in mind it was written in the 1890s, and the setting is more than likely a slum, or an isolated outback bush town. I’m sure Gilmore did not intend the second line to ring so awfully as it does to people in our time. Perhaps a woman in Somalia, or Sri Lanka might understand, but we cannot, I think. The poem reminds me of the line “And women must weep”. Such terrible times. Such a powerful, gut wrenching poem.
Gilmore was an admirable woman.

Judged
By Mary Gilmore

“She didn’t seem a bit sad that the baby
was dead, in fact, she seemed rather glad.”
- extract from a letter.

It pined, and pined, and cried,
And I had not the time
To tend it, either night
Or day, and so it died.

But once, before it went,
It looked at me, and smiled,
A little, fleeting smile,
So pitiful, so spent.

I could have cried aloud;
But who would care? Who help?
Who grieve because of one
Small soul lost in the crowd?

And, late, as night wore through,
It gasped and sighed. – And I –
I know that I was glad
When it passed out… O, you

Who guiltless hold yourselves,
Give ear! When women work
All day, and half the night,
And starve, and sell themselves

For bread; they do not weep
Because the children die,
They only weep because
The children live.

No comments: